Friday, January 19, 2007

New Wilco Album coming!

I just read this:

Wilco's new album, "Sky Blue Sky," will arrive May 15 via Nonesuch, frontman Jeff Tweedy said on stage last night (Jan. 17) during a solo show in Nashville. Among the new songs Tweedy has been playing are the title track and "We Can Make It Better."

As a full band, Wilco has also previewed the tracks "Is That the Thanks I Get," "Lullaby for Rafters and Dreams," "On and On and On" and "Walken" in the past year.

"I think people may have an idea in their head about what it will sound like, but it's going to be different than that," Wilco bassist John Stirratt told Billboard.com in November. "Jeff had a lot of creative fire. And also, the way we recorded was so cool because a lot of the arrangements just grew right there with everybody sitting around. I'm over the moon about it. I think it will be a really beautiful record. It's a great time to be in Wilco."

"Sky Blue Sky" is the follow-up to 2004's "A Ghost Is Born," which has sold 346,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Hops take? I couldn't be more excited. I've heard some live versions of "Walken" and "Is That the Thanks I Get" and dug them both. When played live they were fun poppy tracks and not too experimental. Of course if you just read the article John Stirratt says it might not sound like what we're expecting. I trust Wilco either way, they've never put out an album that I don't love. After their debut, AM, they've had an amazing run with some of my favorites. Bands come and go but not many really can consistently put out amazing art without really just repeating themselves. We'll see if they can keep it up on May 15th

And because I'm amazingly nice to all my listeners here is a version of "Is That The Thanks I Get" from Jeff Tweedy's solo tour ... which I didn't get to see :-(

No comments: