Friday, January 19, 2007

Trey

For those of you who are Trey Anastasio (Phish) fans check out this interview which appeared on Jambase.com

Even if you aren't a fan I think you'll find the article somewhat interesting. The pictures are hiliarous.

Here is what he says about Dave Matthews:
Fans wonder if Trey is searching for a Dave Matthews Band or John Mayer type of hit. "That's such a gross over-simplification that it's almost ridiculous," he says. "I can tell you, I'm never gonna have a hit, forget it. And by the way, Dave Matthews is amazing. So to those people, the first thing I would say is that if I could write a song that had one iota of the emotional impact of either that 'car crash' song on his solo album or that 'Stay or Leave,' I would be very, very happy and proud, because the guy is incredibly talented. So in that sense, absolutely I'd like to write a song like that."

And here is what he says about music and emotion:
"It's the most emotionally available form of communication I've found by far, going both directions. I can reveal my own emotions in a much safer way than talking. I get really tangled up when I try to talk, I do the best I can, but sometimes with playing music, it's safe. Like I can be really, really, really sad or really, really happy and express that to someone without fear of reprisal. So there's that, but then there's also just the music itself, just melody and harmony can tear me up. I just don't know what I would do without it. Life would just be one bleak, horrible, awful, terrible, awkward social situation to the next."

Next time someone asks me why I make my Hopscasts I can just quote that line.

No comments: