Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Schooling Bob Dylan While Stoned

Bob Dylan practicing his bounce pass

This just CAN'T be true.... can it? Hilarious either way. According to ContactMusic.com:

Veteran singer Bob Dylan was once challenged to a basketball game by CHEECH AND CHONG - and lost to the comedy duo.

In Tommy Chong's forthcoming book, Cheech + Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography, the funnyman recalls how he and the songwriter faced off on the basketball court - while Chong was high after smoking marijuana. He writes: "Talk about legends! Bob Dylan wrote and recorded so many meaningful, historic songs.

"Bob had a good jump shot and some pretty good moves - but when he tried driving past me for a lay-up, the Canadian ice hockey player in me came out... I dumped him on his ass with a ticky-tack foul."


This raises an interesting question for me to ponder: If I was offered a chance to play Bob Dylan in a game of basketball - and I'm talking Bobby D in the late 60's not 2008 Bobby D (the thought of present Day Bob Dylan posting up kind of makes me sick to be honest) - how hard would I play? Now I know he's not much bigger than me and frankly I am pretty confident I'm a better athlete. I mean if we were talking about competition of wits he MAY have me... slightly...barely... but if we're talking sport I know I could throw down like Tommy Chong. So the big question is would I? Would you? Would you seriously attempt to block a shot by Bob Dylan? Would you then start talking trash? I've thought about this for a while. Longer that I should have and my answer is clear.

Yes.

Yes. I would talk trash to Bob Dylan himself. I mean he's my favorite artist of all time - and I'm talking artist: Rembrandt, Picasso, Lennon, Shakespeare... you get the point - but that is what makes it so appealing. No one should be that idolized - held to that high of a standard, especially a guy as weird as Bob Dylan.

But mostly I'd do it for one simple reason: I can guarantee no one talks more trash, and the type of trash that actually gets to you, than Bob Dylan. I mean he's fucking BOB DYLAN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard Tommy Chong on Howard Stern a couple of weeks ago (promoting the book) talking about that story. It ended with Tommy and Dylan in a sauna... naked... and I'm dead serious.