Monday, November 06, 2006

Mixing politics and music

I got this message in my inbox this afternoon. It is from Bruce Springsteen. Obviously it was not a personal email to me….that would be awesome. Instead it was an email encouraging me to vote with some articles that are obviously trying to get me to vote Democrat. Now what if he had sent an email urging me to vote Republican? Would his fans get angry? Do you have to be a Democrat to enjoy his music (for the record I’m a huge fan… and an Independent).

My point is I don’t like my artists imposing their politic beliefs on me to this degree. Now if they want to do this in a song that is one thing. I can choose to listen or not or interpret the song in any way I please. But I have been more and more annoyed when you hear artists spewing politics in concert (see Bono). I know people will argue it’s always been part of their music and their image, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. However, once you start sending me emails that are completely out of the context of your music or one of your concerts I think it crosses the line. It doesn’t matter if I agree with what the artist is pushing or not, it just doesn’t sit well with me. I can think for myself.

The email from Bruce:

To the attention of our fans,

Use your voice. Vote on Tuesday.

Here are three newspaper articles that we hope you will find interesting. The first is a column from the New York Times by esteemed writer Thomas Friedman, the second is a first hand account of a Naval medic tending to a fallen Marine, and the third is Sunday's editorial from the New York Times.

Let me know what you think.

No comments: