Thursday, April 09, 2009

Happy Passover Mix

Mrs. Hops' and I use a modern Seder plate.

Today is the first day of Passover so I wanted to put together a nice Passover mix for all of you. Then I realized I have WAY too many Passover songs. I should have dedicated an entire Hopscast to this topic, but I'm too lazy. Next year maybe I'll give one song for each of the ten plagues, plus include some Elijah songs as well. Also, I'm on the lookout for some good Golden Calf related tunes. That said you'll enjoy this mix.

Passover 2009 Play List:
1) "Pharaoh" by Richard Thompson from Amnesia (mp3)
"We're all working for the Pharaoh"
Buy here

2) "Go Down, Moses" by Louis Armstrong from Louie and the Good Book (mp3)
"Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt Land"
Buy here

3) "Moses" by Coldplay from Coldplay Live 2003 (mp3)
"Come on now, don't you want to see? This thing that's happening to me. Like Moses has power over sea"
Buy here

4) "Border Song" by Elton John from Elton John (mp3)
"Holy Moses I have been deceived"
Buy here

5) "Flies (The Plague of Flies)" from Brian Eno And Robert Wyatt from Plague Songs (mp3)
This was a collection of songs inspired by the Ten Plagues. Interesting and weird.
Buy here

6) "The Angel Of Death" by Hank Williams from Gold: Hank Williams (mp3)
"The Angel Of Death will come from the sky, and will claim your poor soul when the time comes to die."
Buy here

7) "The Black Angel's Death Song" by The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground & Nico (mp3)
"Choose to choose, choose to go"
Buy here

8) "Bloodhounds On My Trail" by The Black Angels from Passover (mp3)
Three Passover references (sorta) in one song. The escaping of the Jews with the Egyptian army hot on their trail, the Black Angel of Death (10th plague) and of course the album title.
Buy here

9) "O Mary Don't You Weep" by Bruce Springsteen from We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (mp3)
"Cheer up, sisters and don't you cry, There'll be good times bye and bye, Didn't Pharaoh's army get drownded? Oh, Mary, don't you weep"
Buy here

10) "Out Of Egypt, Into The Great Laugh Of Mankind, And I Shake The Dirt From My Sandals As I Run" by Sufjan Stevens from Illinoise (mp3)
The instrumental closer from this album.
Buy here

11) "Passover" by Joy Division from Closer (mp3)
"Left with a mark on the door, Is this the gift that I wanted to give?"
Buy here

12) "All The Wine" by The National from Alligator (mp3)
Did you know the Passover Seder requires that you drink four glasses of wine? That's the easiest way to convince people to come over for the dinner!
Buy here

No comments: