Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Stand Corrected

Hopefully you have all been listening to Episode 29: The South and are enjoying it. However, I do have some corrections to make from the last show.

First, DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC is actually named after the Daughters of the American Revolution, which of course came before the Civil War. Now, I'm sure some Southerners would call the Civil War the real American revolution... but in this case they would be wrong. I mentioned this after playing "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" by The Black Crowes. That said I still think the Black Crowes were referring to the group when they wrote the song. It is in my optiono a protest against elitism and old traditions that shouldn't be kept. "Dont you want to see the ship go down with me?". Thanks to loyal listener Jordan for the heads up.

Second, I misspoke when I said that Hattie Carroll, in Bob Dylan's "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" was a slave. The song says she was "a maid in the kitchen" and in fact she was a barmaid. How do I know this? Well it turns out that this is a TRUE story. It has to be, because there is a Wikipedia article on it. Very interesting stuff that can be found here. It turns out that William Zantzinger (Dylan changed it to Zanzinger) is still alive and still haunted by the song. Apparently the incident happened in 1963. In my mind the story was set about a 100 years earlier. Frankly, the fact it was written about a true story in the 60's makes it that much more disturbing and shocking. When Dylan did his comeback Rolling Thunder Review shows in 1975 he played a rocking version of the tune.

"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" by Bob Dylan from The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 - Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Review (mp3)

No comments: