Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An explanation for something that doesn't need explanation

If you've gone to the Hops landing page (http://www.allyouneedishops.com/) you will see three links. One for this blog, one for the Hopscast site and one for my album covers project. What? You've never seen the album covers project? That's because its been "coming soon" for about 5 months now. If I did get around to picking my favorite album covers and putting them into a gallery I'd probably let you know that I think Dark Side of The Moon might be the greatest album cover ever made. Its simple, memorable and visually stunning but also completely represents the album and the band. I also love how there is nothing on the cover identifying the name of the band or the album yet most people know exactly what the image refers to.

The reason I am bringing this up is because NME just posted a 15 image slide show of Pink Floyd album covers with explanations by the man who designed them, Storm Thorgeson. You can check it out by clicking here.

Here is what Storm had to say about Dark Side "The concept of this cover, according the artist Storm Thorgerson, was to try and connect with Pink Floyd's live shows; "famous for their lighting, ambition and madness... hence the prism, the triangle and the pyramids. It all connects, somehow, somewhere."

No comments: