Thursday, January 31, 2008

What's with these homies?

Photo courtesy of Sidelines View - Mustache courtesy of Rivers Cuomo

In my ongoing struggle to link soccer and music I stumbled upon the fantastic photo above of Rivers Cuomo from Weezer celebrating a goal with Landon Donovan’s wife, Bianca Kajlich thanks to the Sideline Views soccer blog. It was taken during a celebrity soccer match to benefit Mia Hamm’s foundation that promotes people signing up to be blood marrow donors (check out the site). It reminded me that I haven’t listened to Weezer in a long time. I mean a REALLY long time. At one point I was really down on them – I think it was when “Hash Pipe” came out to mark their big return to the music scene. I remember thinking “This guy went to Harvard?”. I completely dismissed them back then. However, with more perspective I’m able to realize that they were a pretty great band and I should check out there more recent stuff. Besides, how can you dismiss a band that put out one of the greatest videos in history:

Anyway, here are some soccer related quotes from Rivers Cuomo after the charity match via the Sideline Views blog: I was having some groin issues, but the game was still fun. --Rivers Cuomo

And via ESPN soccernet: "It was a dream come true," Cuomo said. "Passing with Landon Donovan and going against Mia Hamm -- it's just unreal. I was terrified, but I was so excited that the excitement overcame the terror."

For diehard Weezer fans check out this article on Rivers Cuomo’s upcoming release thanks to the fantastic website Daytrotter.


No comments: