Friday, December 28, 2007

Many Nations Sing Seven Nation Army

I got back from vacation yesterday from Florida to spend some time with Mrs. Hops' family. Unfortunately, my in laws don't have the various soccer channels I subscribe to (why would they?) so I was deprived of watching the Beautiful Game for more than a week! Can you imagine the horror? Luckily when I got back it was Boxing Day, the day after Christmas in England, one of the biggest sporting days all year. Hearing the crowds chant throughout the matches made me realize that a few months back when I was casually listing some of my favorite sports songs in addition to "You'll Never Walk Alone" I completely forgot one of the best - "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes. You'll often hear the crowds at soccer matches chant the instrumental chorus to this one. Supposedly this trend started in Belgium then spread to Italy, France and of course right here in the States. How many rifts are that recognizable?

Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes:


Some Italian Fans Get in on the fun:


As do the Flaming Lips:


And for more fun - The White Stripes on The Simpsons:

No comments: